By doing some fairly easy changes you can start improving your financial situation and time-management skills immediately.
- Make a list of your income and ALL your expenses. Do not estimate! Be honest to yourself and look up your invoices and receipts. Next time you buy something, save the receipt. All you need is a pen and a piece of paper to keep track of your expenses! When looking at your receipts you might be surprised how much money you spend on certain things. I spend too much money on dry-cured ham… The next step is to find sources of improvement and forget attitudes like “I cannot live without newest iPad”. How much are you able to save every month?
- Do KonMari type of organization and cleaning until you only own the items you really need. After finishing this process your weekly cleaning does not take very long. For me it takes less than 30 minutes and the reason is mainly that I don’t need to declutter before I start the actual cleaning. After getting rid of unnecessary stuff you can start looking for a smaller and less expensive apartment.
- Create your own frugal food budget! Plan your groceries by having a detailed list for each week, and as boring as it sounds, you only buy those things mentioned on the list. Then you have a budget, you don’t need to spend too much time in the supermarket and you can cook in advance, take meals to work and save time in the evenings by not spending hours in the kitchen every day.
- Only have a couple of sets of clothing, colours that fit together. The same advice applies to shoes and purses…
- No impulse buying! Analyze if you have any other expensive or time-consuming bad habits. Don’t be lazy!